Looking for a place to host a RealMOVEMENT Internship in Europe I got in touch with Andy Mac. He put me on to Mike and I did some research. The place looked pretty good and they have a CrossFit affiliation so all the barbells, floor space, ropes etc are there and nice simple accommodation. Boxes ticked, game on!
When we got there it was like christmas to see how amazing this place really is! You have to live it and believe it. It was hot as hell while we were there but we still managed 2-3 sessions per day together with trips to local restaurants and beaches to chill out in between.
Sharing that time with Mitch Pike was great. His first real adventure outside Australia it was like when I first arrived in Latin America. Everything is new, exciting and slightly bewildering. Mike himself is a ripened and an absolute beast on his obstacle course and taught us a lot beyond how to create a world-class facility.
10 key Points from Mike
- Get your volume in – bike counts
- Eat plenty and don’t stress, tidy it up if you’ve got a photo shoot coming
- Don’t set a session you won’t complete
- Don’t let too much science get in the way of your training
- Not many people have suffered the injuries and surgeries that Mike has, he’s got scares and biomechanics that make the mind boggle. Not many people will beat him up the massive mountain goat hill at the end of his obstacle course.
- Take the next step – there was no grand plan but when opportunity knocked, Mike opened the windows and the doors!
- Baseline activity is the baseline for performance
- It’s never too late to build strength, strength boosts endurance
- Function not aesthetics, do the assault course
- Endurance training won’t kill your physique